Saturday Dec 13, 2014
3:00 pm - 5:00 pm
THE POWERHOUSE ARENA [Dumbo]
37 Main Street
Brooklyn, NY 11201
For more information, please call 718.666.3049
RSVP appreciated: RSVP@powerHouseArena.com
Please fill out the “Bookings” form at the bottom of this page.
Taste treats by Ovenly, Baked, Liddabit Sweets, One Girl Cookies, and Four & Twenty Blackbirds, and hear stories by authors Teddy Wayne, Emma Straub, and Diana Spechler to get you into the holiday spirit!
About the tasty treats:
- Ovenly is an award-winning bakery headquartered in Greenpoint, Brooklyn. Since 2010, their innovative baked goods have found their way into cafés, restaurants and stores nationwide.
- Baked is a classic American bakery and cafe based in the neighborly environs of Red Hook, Brooklyn. Their bakery specializes in (even obsesses about) all manner of Americana baking. They create a vast array of cakes (they are particularly fond of the three-layer and Bundt variety), cookies, pies, tarts, muffins, scones, bars and brownies.
- Liddabit Sweets is a tiny candy company based in Brooklyn, New York, specializing in handmade candy bars, caramels, honeycomb candy, lollipops…well, you get the idea. Every single thing they make is measured, cooked, dipped, wrapped, and packaged by a real-live person, using only the best ingredients they can find – never any artificial flavors, preservatives, or other funny stuff.
- One Girl Cookies is a one-of-a-kind cookie shop specializing in high-quality ingredients with highly delicious results. With shops in Cobble Hill and Dumbo, they believe in making the most of each flavor in their cookies and go to great lengths to make sure that each ingredient has a personality all its own.
- Four & Twenty Blackbirds is the delicious creation of Melissa and Emily Elsen, sisters who were raised in South Dakota. After pursuing different careers in their early adulthood, they built a business in Brooklyn, originally custom baking pies together in their Brooklyn apartment, and eventually opening 4 & 20 Blackbirds Cafe.
About the Authors:
Emma Straub is from New York City. She is the author of Laura Lamont’s Life in Pictures and Other People We Married, and her fiction and nonfiction have been published in Vogue, Tin House, The New York Times, and the The Paris Review Daily. She is a staff writer for Rookie. Straub lives with her husband and son in Brooklyn.
Teddy Wayne, the author of Kapitoil, is the winner of a 2011 Whiting Writers’ Award and a finalist for the Young Lions Fiction Award, PEN/Bingham Prize, and Dayton Literary Peace Prize. He writes regularly for The New Yorker, The New York Times, Vanity Fair, McSweeney’s, and elsewhere. He lives in New York.
Diana Spechler is the author of the novels Who By Fire (Harper Perennial, 2008) and Skinny (Harper Perennial, 2011). She has written for The New York Times, GQ, O The Oprah Magazine, CNN Living, Esquire, New York Magazine, and others. She teaches writing in New York City and for Stanford University’s Online Writer’s Studio.
Bookings are closed for this event.