In Fall 2006, powerHouse Books launched The powerHouse Arena, a laboratory for creative thought: exhibitions, installations, presentations, displays, viewings, performances, readings, and retail therapy—all drawing upon photography and popular culture as sources of inspiration.
Learn more about powerHouse
About the position:
The powerHouse Arena, an independent bookstore and events space in DUMBO, is seeking a full-time Literary Events Coordinator. The Literary Events Coordinator will be responsible for ALL aspects of literary event planning and promotion in the store, from conception to clean-up. There are approximately 150+ events executed each year ranging from 15-200+ participants. The ideal candidate should be outgoing, comfortable speaking in front of large groups of people, social media-savvy, and have a keen eye for literary market trends. Publishing experience a plus.
-Outreach to publishers about potential events
-Creating and distributing press releases for all events
-Managing powerHouse Arena’s social media accounts (Twitter, Facebook, Tumblr, Pinterest, etc)
-Event promotion through social media and press outreach
-Identifying major books for each publishing season
-Work closely with the Director to coordinate event book orders
-Work with the design department to create a weekly newsletter and a monthly events card
-Event Management: this entails event set-up, introducing authors, and help with clean-up post-event
This is a full time job. Candidates should be prepared to work evenings and occasional weekends.
The ideal candidate will possess the following skills and abilities:
-Excellent project management skills to identify, implement, and promote successful events
-One – three years of proven experience in event planning and management (preferably in the publishing field)
– Ability to independently manage a multitude of priorities related to event management
– Creative approach in promotion, partnership creation, and writing to come up with clever ways to connect and promote store events
– An independent, mature individual that can establish and set own priorities, make work plans and execute them with efficiency and speed with little to no day-to-day direction or support.
This is an opportunity to not only work with among a small, dedicated staff to curate a dynamic series of events at an independent bookstore, but also to engage with some of the movers and shakers of New York City’s literary community.
Please email a resume and cover letter with salary requirements to Susanne Koenig, Director, The powerHouse Arena susanne@powerHouseArena.com
The powerhouse Arena , a bookstore, art and event space in the Dumbo area of Brooklyn, is looking for an experienced, passionate, self-motivated full-time or part-time (3-4 days) bookseller who has a strong interest in photography, design, and literature. Our 5,000 sf book boutique focuses on photography and illustrated books, and has a curated fiction/non-fiction, and children’s books section.
We are looking for a dedicated, sales-driven individual with a strong work ethic, maybe a bit of style, a welcoming demeanor, and a friendly personality. Experience in event programming, bookstore ordering a plus.
Please send us a strong cover letter, and your resume, along with salary requirement and passionate interests and hobbies. Points awarded for wit and panache.
Please email your applications to Susanne Koenig, Director, The powerHouse Arena: susanne@powerHouseArena.com
* * *
This internship provides students with an inside view of book publishing and the opportunity to work closely with key personel in Design, Production, Sales, Marketing, Publicity, Promotions, Gallery and Retail Sales
• Pre-production: scanning and retouching art, preparing dummies and other salesmaterials
• Assistance on design of books, catalogs, invites, announcements, advertisements, sales- materials
• Assisting on book design: layout and pre-production
• Updating and archiving digital art
• Interacting with authors and artists, suppliers, and media
• Basic Design skills
• Quark XPress, Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign
• Basic knowledge of web design would be great but not required
Hours per week
Please send a cover letter, resume, 5 low-res scans or a link to your website to:
Craig Cohen, Head Publisher, at: francesca@powerHouseBooks.com.
If you are invited to a interview, please bring your portfolio.
* * *
PUBLICITY & PROMOTIONS INTERN
The Publicity & Promotions Intern reports to the Publicity Director and is primarily responsible for: producing, disseminating, and archiving all marketing and promotional materials; database management; and gallery and event preparations.
• Creation and dissemination of all press and marketing materials including physical packages, electronic art, evites, and sales materials.
• Assist in preparing and working at in-house and offsite events—including gallery openings, book signings, launch parties, and other special events.
• Track and archive media coverage; generate press and promotions reports. Maintain media, postage, events, and contacts databases.
• Computer skills: Microsoft Office, Acrobat, Photoshop. Experience with QuarkXPress preferred. Familiarity with Mac required.
• Must be effective, engaging communicators with excellent writing skills;
• Multi-tasker; solid problem-solving skills;
• High energy; self-directed and resourceful;
• mission-passionate with an interest in art, photography, and book publishing.
We offer a small stipend for long-term (6 mo+), full-time internships.
Please send applications to Madison Morales: publicity@powerHouseBooks.com.
* * *